Sello Mbedzi, 21, of Matangari village has appeared in the Thohoyandou Magistrate’s court on charges of murder, the theft of R40 and of two cellphones stolen from the home of Sarah Letsoalo’s home, where Khorommbi was employed.

Police spokesperson Warrant Officer Tshilidzi Nyambeni siad Mbedzi was arrested following a tip-off from a member of his family with whom he’d been staying in Gauteng.

“Following the gruesome murder of Khorommbi, Mbedzi left for Kliptown where he sought refuge with a relative who is working there.

“Mbedzi confessed to his relative that he had committed a murder at Matangari and said he was seeking a temporary refuge as he was running away from the police.

“The relative informed Kliptown police, who arrested the suspect on August 18 and contacted us immediately,” said Nyambeni.

Local police went to Gauteng to receive Mbedzi from Kliptown Police where he allegedly “confessed to the murder and pointed out the scene of crime”.

Mbedzi’s case was postponed to October 29 and he remains in custody.

“One of the phones has already been recovered from the person who bought it. The second phone was sold in Gauteng, but we are still busy tracing it so that we can recover it as it must be used in exhibition,” Nyameni said.

He added that Mbedzi was also facing charges of breaking and entering and theft following an incident at a shop in Matangari.

Khorommbi’s murder caused turmoil in Matangari where the community accused her employer, Letsoalo of “murdering her for muti purposes”.

Roads were blocked around Letsoalo’s house, which was damaged and torched by the protesting community who were blaming police of dragging their feet in arresting Letsoalo, a business woman.

As a result, four people were arrested for public violence. They are out on bail of R1 000 each and their case will be heard on 6 September. Dowelani Masindi, 24, was arrested for arson and his case will be heard on 9 October. He remains in custody.

Although the community was accusing Letsoalo of killing Khorommbi, police and her family always maintained that there was no body part missing from the deceased except the thirty stab wounds she sustained during the gruesome murder.

Nyambeni says he is appealing to the community to be patient with police while they are doing their work.

“After we arrested Mbedzi, we thought the community would be happy, but there are some who are still alleging that the suspect was paid by Letsoalo to confess to the crime. This allegation has never been proven and we appeal to the community to remain calm as we are continuing with our work.”