Health-e News Service has been a leader in health reporting providing print and television content to national print and television outlets since 2000. In 2012, Health-e News launched its OurHealth citizen journalism programme. Today, more than 20 citizen journalists nationwide are part of the programme and receive regular mentoring by Health-e News staff. Together with staff content, OurHealth stories are now syndicated nationwide through Health-e News clients.
Health-e News is currently recruiting for the position of health writer. Responsible for writing regular print features and news pieces as well as promoting Health-e through social media, the writer works closely with the OurHealth Project Manager as well as other unit heads and reports to the Managing Editor.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Produce well-researched print news stories and features on health issues per month. Where necessary, you may be asked to travel, take photographs and/or conduct audio/ video recordings;
- Work with the OurHealth Project Manager and citizen journalist network;
- Oversee Health-e News social media presence;
- Load stories on website;
- Assist in pitching Health-e News copy to print clients, helping to ensure that monthly quotas are met;
- Guide the service’s news agenda in consultation with the managing editor, including identifying topics of coverage for citizen journalists;
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least five years experience in journalism. Preference will be given to those with proven experience with health reporting;
- Familiarity with the South African media landscape;
- Experience in social media;
- Professionalism, including the ability to liaise with high-level clients;
- Ability to work well in a small team, work well under pressure and juggle multiple tasks;
- Passion for mentoring younger journalists;
- Ability to speak SeSotho or an Nguni language, as well as experience with WordPress and multimedia will be advantages.
Interested applicants are asked to send a CV and cover letter with three references to email@example.com by 20 May. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed and asked to complete a series of written tests. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline is 5pm 20 May 2016