Health-e News Service has been a leader in health reporting providing print and television content to national print and television outlets since 2000. In 2012, Health-e News launched its OurHealth citizen journalism programme. Over 20 citizen journalists nationwide are part of the programme and receive regular mentoring by Health-e News staff. Together with staff content, OurHealth stories are now syndicated nationwide through our media clients.
Health-e News is currently recruiting for the position of news editor. Responsible for the daily editing of copy, the news editor oversees print production and ensures content is of high quality, re-writing copy when required. The news editor also assists in mentoring citizen journalists and is responsible for the service’s web presence. The editor works closely with the head of Health-e News’ TV department as well as the OurHealth Project Manager, and reports to the Managing Editor. The news editor also oversees the work of the OurHealth sub-editor and intern reporter.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work with the OurHealth management, OurHealth sub-editor and citizen journalist network to improve the quality of citizen journalist copy;
- Edit copy from staff and freelancers;
- Re-write citizen journalist copy;
- Oversee Health-e News web presence, including the official website and social media accounts. This will include curating social media streams and loading stories;
- Pitch Health-e News copy to print clients, ensuring that monthly quotas are met;
- Guide the service’s news agenda in consultation with the managing editor, including identifying topics of coverage for citizen journalists;
- Assist in managing the OurHealth intern; manage and recruit freelance writers when needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least eight years experience in journalism. Preference will be given to those with proven experience with health reporting;
- Familiarity with the South African media landscape;
- Proven experience in copy editing and attention to detail. Experience on a news desk is highly desirable;
- Experience in social media. Knowledge of web marketing and metrics preferred;
- Professionalism, including the ability to liaise with high-level clients;
- Ability to work well in a small team, work well under pressure and juggle multiple tasks;
- Passion for mentoring younger journalists;
- Ability to speak SeSotho or an Nguni language, as well as experience with WordPress and multimedia will be advantages.
Interested applicants are asked to send a CV and cover letter with three references to [email protected]. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed and asked to complete a series of written tests. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 5pm 20 May 2016