Health-e News Service is looking for a News Editor
Are you a grammar fanatic with attention to detail and a passion for mentoring younger journalists? Come work with us.
Health-e News Service is South Africa’s award-winning dedicated health news service producing news and in-depth analysis for the country’s print and television media. In 2012, Health-e News opened a nationwide citizen journalism arm called OurHealth, which provides print news and features for newspapers, magazines and websites, and TV documentaries broadcasted on SABC, eTV and M-Net.
Health-e News Service seeks to appoint an Editor, to be based in Johannesburg. The Editor will report directly to the CEO.
The purpose of the position is the daily editing of copy, overseeing news production and ensures content is of high quality. Work closely with the head of Health-e News’ TV department, OurHealth Project Manager.
- Guide the service’s news agenda in consultation with Health-e Exco, including identifying topics of coverage for health reporters, citizen journalists and freelancer. Developing and coordinating national reporting projects
- Liaise with current clients and secure new clients
- Oversee Health-e News web presence, including the official website and work closely with digital manager on social media strategy. This will include loading stories and assist in social media posting
- Work with the OurHealth manager and citizen journalist network to improve the quality of citizen journalist copy
- Edit copy from staff and freelancers
- Manage health reporters, freelance reporters
- Occasional writing required
- Investigative journalism background will be a plus
- Grammar fanatic with at least seven years’ experience who understands online media, wants to work with citizen journalists and is committed to improving the quality of life of all South Africans
- Must be familiar with the South African media landscape
- A passion for health journalism and a desire to make a difference
- An individual with proven experience in copy editing and attention to detail
- Experience on a news desk is highly desirable
- Experience in social media and website management
- Knowledge of web marketing and metrics preferred
- A flair for multimedia journalism
- Professionalism, including the ability to liaise with high-level clients
- Ability to work well in a small team, work well under pressure and juggle multiple tasks
- Passion for mentoring younger journalists
To apply, submit a CV and application letter to Charity at [email protected]